DU Evening colleges: Overview
Delhi University has several colleges under its purview and includes both morning and evening colleges. Since the colleges in DU are infamous for their high cut-offs, DU evening college is the last resort for students to get into their dream university. However, students do not prefer enrolling in the evening courses as the college functioning of evening colleges is considerably different.
DU Evening Colleges: List
The evening colleges at DU are as follows:
- Moti Lal Nehru Evening college
- Dyal Singh Evening College
- Shyam Lal Evening College
- PGDAV Evening College
- Sri Aurobindo Evening College
- Shaheed Bhagat Singh Evening College
- Satyawati Evening College
- Zakir Husain Delhi Evening College
DU evening colleges: Timing
The evening colleges usually have classes between 2-7 p.m. However college timings also differ from college to college -Moti Lal Nehru Evening College has classes from 3:30-8:30.
For instance, some colleges may extend for one or two hours more and colleges like Shaheed Bhagat Singh College start early at around 12 or 1. The late timings of these colleges provide flexibility to students studying for professional and competitive exams like CAT, UPSC, MBA etc. Even students wanting a part-time job can enjoy the benefit of time flexibility.
DU evening colleges: Top Choices
1. Shaheed Bhagat Singh Evening College
Shaheed Bhagat Singh Evening College has the advantage that the college starts early around 12:30 and it is considered one of the top colleges for commerce based courses. Also, the college is located in the south campus near colleges like CVS and students can enjoy the benefit of being a part of the campus. The placements for evening courses are great with the highest package standing at INR 10 LPA. However, this is the highest package and not every student receives placement.
|B.A. Political Science||31||9||5||17|
2. Moti Lal Nehru Evening College
Moti Lal Nehru Evening College (MLNEC) is the second-best evening college at DU and it usually operates from 3:30-to 8:30. It is located on the south campus near south Moti Bagh, another evening college which is a part of the south campus.
3. Dyal Singh Evening College
Third on the list would be Dyal Singh College (DSEC). It is located on Lodhi Road, near the Jawahar Lal Nehru stadium. The college’s infrastructure for evening students is even better than the morning students. They have a newly renovated building for the evening students and a separate library for them.
DU evening colleges: : Pros and Cons
- Low cut-offs: DU evening colleges have comparatively lower cut-offs as compared to the morning courses. For instance, the third cut off for B.A. Political science Honours stood at 97.5 for morning students and 94 for evening students.
- Time flexibility: One of the major advantages for students is the time flexibility of evening colleges as students preparing for professional courses can better manage both their degree and exams. Moreover, students who have taken up jobs in the morning can complete their studies by enrolling in an evening college.
- Attendance: Evening colleges are lenient in terms of attendance which can be a point of concern if a student joins a morning college.
- Degree: Both morning and evening college students essentially get the same degree as the University does not discriminate between morning and evening students.
- Syllabus: Syllabus for both morning and evening college students pursuing the same course is the same. This means the level of difficulty is the same and the students are prepared to be at par.
- Crowd: The crowd of evening colleges is not as great majorly because all the students are the ones who have less percentage in their board exams. However, it doesn’t by all means mean that they can’t be great at extracurriculars.
- Competition: The students of evening college are less competitive because their degree is usually a second course being pursued by them. They are more focused on preparing for their competitive exams.
- Societies: The societies of evening colleges are separate and they are inactive in most of the evening colleges. Also, the society members do not get time to practice like morning students.
DU evening colleges: Are they even worth joining?
Evening colleges are advantageous as compared to SOL or lower-ranked colleges of other universities. A student should join evening college if they have a dream to be a part of DU. However, if a student is not planning to join an evening college because of the advantage of time flexibility it is not worth joining an evening college. If a student is getting a good private/ high ranked college from any other university it would be wiser to take admission there as compared to evening colleges.
Evening college is not a preferred choice if a student has option to choose morning college/better-ranked colleges.
Thus it depends on the career goal of the student if the decision to join an evening college would be worth it or not.
Who should join DU evening colleges?
The following type of people should join evening colleges:
- Professional course: Students pursuing a dual degree or preparing for exams like UPSC, CA have an advantage if they join an evening college because of the time flexibility provided by these colleges.
- Job: Students doing a full-time job in the morning can join an evening college and easily complete their degree in the evening.
- Low percentage: Students with a low percentage can join evening colleges due to easy cut off requirements for these colleges.
- Housewife: Women who have left their education in between can resume their education by joining evening colleges. In this way, there is a scope for women empowerment.
Also check out our blog to know all about DU Off campus colleges.
DU evening colleges: FAQs
What is meant by evening college?
Evening college is a facility provided by Delhi University in some of the colleges which usually operate in the evening with the benefit of getting into the same college at a lower percentage and receiving the same degree as morning students.
What is the timing of evening college in DU?
The timings of evening colleges at DU change from college to college. However, it usually lies between 2-7 pm. For instance, the college timings for Moti Lal Nehru Evening college is 3:30-8:30.
Is evening college good in DU?
Evening colleges are not as good as the morning colleges but students can enrol themselves for the evening courses if they get into top evening colleges like Shaheed Bhagat Singh and Moti Lal Nehru Evening College.
Does DU offer evening classes?
Yes DU offers evening classes at the evening colleges of DU. These evening colleges operate between 2-7 p.m.
Can we shift from evening to morning college in DU?
Yes, it is possible to migrate from evening to morning shift in the second year. However, the procedure is difficult as one needs to get a minimum GPA and there should also be a vacancy in the college in which admission is sought.