Gargi College is a pioneer of excellent education located in the south campus of the University of Delhi. It was started in 1967 with a virtuous cause of promoting education to the women community. According to the NIRF report of 2021 the Gargi College is placed at the 16th position all over India. The college was also awarded ‘A’ grade in its first cycle of assessment of NAAC.
Okay enough of the technical knowledge let’s know about the actual deal and what makes Gargi Cut off go crazily high. Apart from it being a girls college and being located in the south campus there are still a lot of facts that students fail to realise before taking admission in the college. So let’s get right into it!
Interesting Facts about Gargi
- The ID Card Gala : Entering the college without the ID card is a big struggle that even the Gargians face, and even students’ minds have the same thing “ Ki bhaiya mai subha 8 baje kisi aur ke college me kyun aaungi? “ Funny isn’t it, but the college never sacrifices its security, good point indeed!
- Audi Foyer : One of the most sought after places inside the college, a lot of societies majorly the street play society, Kshitij and theatre society, Upstage can be seen practising here.
- Poor connectivity : Don’t worry it’s not that bad, sometimes the network and connectivity is beyond frustrating, however it allows students to enjoy among their friends rather than being glued to their phones.
- Nescafe Kiosk : Once in a thousand lifetimes will you find a seating space near the nescafe kiosk, always fully occupied, it’s one of the best places for a good rant with your friends, while sipping on the chilled iced tea (the best among DU colleges.)
- Sudden Flash Mobs : This is one of the most interesting and enjoyable parts of the college, flash mobs are a famous part of Gargi, they can start anywhere and anytime, one will probably realise, when they’ll hear bollywood songs being screamed near the Arts Quad, singing and dancing is on a different level during these mobs.
Gargi College: Courses Offered
There are a variety of courses offered by the college in all the departments, the courses are as follows:
|B.com [ 2 courses ]||INR 24.16K|
|B.A. [ 29 courses ]||INR 24.16K – 1.24L|
|B.EI.ED [ 1 course]||INR 65.64K|
|B.sc [ 8 courses]||INR 24.91K – 1.24L|
|M.sc [ 1 course ]||INR 29.06K|
|M.A. [ 2 courses ]||INR 26.56K – 27.76K|
Gargi College: Eligibility
The eligibility of different courses are different in the college, earlier admission into the college was on the basis of merit, however after the formulation of the National Education Policy, and the announcement of the CUET 2022 examinations, the eligibility criteria is bound to change. The previous eligibility criteria for various programmes and courses is as follows:
|Class 12 with 45% aggregate in Mathematics/Business Studies.|
|Pass in Class 12 with an aggregate of 40%-45% depending upon one’s specialization.|
|Pass in Class 12 with an aggregate of 50%.|
|A pass in Class 12 with an aggregate of 50% for B.sc. Hons and 45% for B.sc. and subjects relevant to science stream.|
|Relevant B.A. from DU or any other university with an aggregate of 60%.|
For the seat matrix and fee structure of Gargi : Click here
Gargi College Cut offs
There are a lot of factors that affect cutoffs every year and these are also the reasons why Gargi always produces insanely high cutoffs. The factors are as follows:
- Total Applicants : The total applicants for particular courses or programmes determines the cutoffs and also makes the game more competitive.
- Best of Four subjects : Earlier the best of four subjects used to play a huge role in the determination of Gargi cutoff and college admissions, however this year with the incoming CUET exams the pattern is bound to change.
- Gargi Cut off pattern : The overall trend of the DU and Gargi Cut off year by year is a determining factor too.
- Seat Availability : The seats available in Gargi also estimate the cutoffs, depending upon the number of students applying for the course and the seats available for that particular programme, the cutoffs are established.
Gargi College Campus Life
The campus life at Gargi is similar to any other DU college, nothing very extravagant or huge, however, there is a certain sense of discipline and positivity around, that hits you, once you enter the campus, the fellow mates are friendly and kind and not much of a difficulty one faces while making new friends, everyone is quite understanding and helpful.
The faculty is great too, however sometimes, due to the immense pressure, teachers seem to be a little frustrated. Rather than that, everything is too good to be true. One can experience the TYPICAL campus life they desire at Gargi.
There are a lot of places near the college to hang out with friends, if you’re in the mood for a nice expensive Italian lunch, hop onto Diggin that is located at a walking distance from the campus. And trust me it’s the most instagrammable cafe you’ll find. Visiting monuments nearby like Humayun Tomb or the Siri Fort area, is also a good option for AESTHETIC photographs!
Gargi College Infrastructure
The infrastructure of Gargi is one of a kind, the red brick walls throughout the college, gives an amazing vibe and aesthetic to the look of the campus. The area of the campus is HUGE, and there are several amenities provided to the students throughout the extent of the campus, some of the infrastructural facilities are as follows:
- A library consisting of a collection of more that 71315 books, with 10 subscribed newspapers and 55 journals, a reader’s heaven indeed!
- Full air conditioned auditorium with a seating capacity of 720 along with a balcony.
- Nescafe kiosk for your instant beverage cravings!
- Sports complex
- Hospital and Medical facilities
- Wifi Campus
- Shuttle Service
- Computer Centre
- Seminar halls
- Lecture Theatres
- Common Room
Therefore to summarise, the college has enough infrastructural facilities for every students’ need and requirement of the hour, and this is also a factor that makes the college quite famous, in return affecting its cutoffs.
Gargi College Societies
Gargi College has a total of 26 societies, both cultural and non-cultural, some of them are listed below:
- Anubhuti : The Hindi writing society
- Upstage : The Dramatics society
- The Marketing Society (TMS)
- Kshitij : The Street play society
- Eco club
- Sparx : The Choreography society
- Glass eye : The Film society
- Placement Cell
- Euphony : The Western Music Society
- Samranjani : The Indian Music Society
- Enliven : The Western Dance Society
- Sameeksha : The Hindi Debating Society
- QED : The English Debating Society
- Nazaakat : The Indian Dance Society
Gargi College Fest
The main annual fest of Gargi is called REVERIE and it is one of the most awaited fests in the entire DU circuit and the best in south campus. There is dance, music, food, stalls, games, and whatnot! With a footfall of 15000 to 20000 every year, the fest is an amalgamation of memories and fun.
The organising committee comes up with innovative and new themes every year, the theme for 2020 was “La expresión: Hues of Euphoria”. The fest takes up a lot of topics and tries to talk about them in the theme of the event.
Therefore Reverie is indeed a fun packed 3 day ride that no student can have their fill off. A wide range of celebs like Jubin Nautiyal, Monali Thakur, Urvashi Rautela, The Lost Stories etc. visit the campus every year.
To know more about the fest Reverie : Click Here
Gargi College Alumnis
The college has given some of the best Alumnis, they are:
- Huma Qureshi
- Urvashi Rautela
- Sanya Malhotra
- Alankrita Sahai
Gargi College Placements
The placement cell of Gargi, works to the best of their capacity to organise various webinars and provide internships to the students so that they can enrich their skills and increase their exposure. The placement cell works towards the holistic development of all the students every year and aims to achieve greater heights. In the most recent year, a lot of new companies like EY INDIA, Deloitte, PWC, ITC, Josh Talks, EZ Mall etc. came in the Gargi campus and recruited students
Perks of Being in Gargi
There are several perks of being in Gargi, some of them are :
- No worry of security : Gargi College being an all girls’ college is safe, pertaining to various security reasons. The college is located in a posh South Delhi area, making it even more guarded and out of harm’s way.
- Gargi Gaga : Go out and tell your relatives that you are a student of Gargi, well yes, they will definitely go gaga over you. It is one of the best colleges of DU and the south campus.
- Decent Crowd : The entire crowd of the college is quite decent and helpful and therefore one does not face a lot of problems in settling down in the college.
- Proximity to all central locations : The college is in proximity to a lot of main areas, like the Select City Walk Mall, Rajiv Chowk, Lajpat Nagar, Sarojini Market etc.
- Good opportunities : Academics aside, the college provides ample opportunities in any field to the students. Joining college societies is a true bliss and helps one build friendships they’ll cherish for a lifetime.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the Gargi Cut off?
The Cut offs for the college usually starts from 98%-99% for main courses like B.com, B.sc. etc.
Is there any entrance exam for Gargi College?
Earlier there used to be an entrance exam for selected UG and PG courses, however from this year onwards, there will be CUET for all courses.
Is there a hostel facility in Gargi College?
No, there is no hostel facility available in the college as of now, however students can opt for PGs located in green park and nearby areas
What is Gargi College known for?
Gargi College is popular for its courses in Arts and Science, the college is one of the best ones in the University of Delhi and has also acquired a star status.
Explore more such blogs on Inside DU